- 4 medium russet potatoes (8-10 ounces each), scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 pound fresh spinach, finely chopped or 4 cups chopped spinach (thawed)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pierce potatoes in several places with fork. Bake directly on center rack until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2 to 4 minutes. Add spinach, garlic and oregano; cook, stirring, until hot, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop the insides into a bowl. Place the skins in a 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Add cream cheese, pepper and salt to the bowl. Beat with a hand mixer or mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the spinach mixture and 1/2 cup feta.
- Stuff each potato skin with about 3/4 cup of the filling. Top each with 1 tablespoon of the remaining feta.
- Bake until the filling is steaming and the feat is browned, 25 to 35 minutes.
The potatoes can also be cooked in the microwave. Pierce the potatoes in several places with fork. Cook on full power for 8 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook for about 6-7 minutes more (cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potato).
Makes 8 servings (1 stuffed half) containing approximately:
24 grams of carbs
8 grams of total fat
3 grams of sugar
334 milligrams of sodium
4 grams of fiber
24 milligrams of cholesterol
8 grams of protein
Click here to download this recipe as a pdf.