- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium (8 oz each) zucchini, sliced 1/8” thick
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 large egg
- 16 oz (4 cups) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt. When cooked drain in colander to remove any fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and sauté garlic and onions about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40 minutes, covered. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 1/8” thick slices, add lightly salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture. After 20 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat a gas grill to medium high, and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until slightly browned. Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
- In a 9×12 casserole spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up.
- The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the foil and bake 20 minutes (to dry up the sauce) then place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake until melted, 10 minutes.
- Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional facts per serving:
(Makes 8 servings. Serving size 1/8)
13 grams of carbs
13 grams of total fat
26 grams of protein
7 grams of saturated fat
648 milligrams of Sodium
Click here to download this recipe as a pdf.