- 3/4 cup coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 2 large peaches, quartered
- 6 10- to 12-inch skewers
- Preheat grill to medium.
(No grill? Preheat broiler to high and follow the broiler variation for Step 5).
- Combine breadcrumbs and pesto in a small bowl. Combine oil, vinegar, pepper and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Lay pork on large cutting board. Holding the knife blade flat, parallel to the board, make a lengthwise cut through the center of the meat, stopping short of the opposite edge so it remains in one piece. Open as you would a book. Cover with plastic wrap. With a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound to an even ¼-inch thickness.
- With a long side closest to you, spread the breadcrumb mixture over the pork, stopping 1 inch from the opposite edge. Starting at the side closest to you, roll up the pork. Brush with 1 tablespoon of the oil mixture (set the rest aside).
- Slice the pork crosswise into 8 pinwheel slices. Put 2 pinwheels each on four 10- to 12-inch skewers, about 1 inch apart, threading the skewers through the meat to keep the pinwheel shape intact. (Put the smaller end pieces on the same skewer; they’ll cook more quickly and may be done before the bigger pieces).
- Toss peaches with the reserved oil mixture; thread onto the remaining two skewers.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Place all the skewers on the grill, arranging the pork skewers flat-side down. Grill, turning once, until the peaches are soft and the pork registers 145°F on an instant-red thermometer. 3 to 5 minutes for the peaches, 8 to 10 minutes for the pork. (Broiler variation: Place the skewers on an oiled broiler pan or a wire rack set on a large baking sheet. Broil, turning once, 2 to 4 minutes per side for the peaches, 5 to 6 minutes for the pork).
Oiling a grill rack before you grill helps prevent foods from sticking. Once the grill is heated, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with thongs and rub it over the rack (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill).
Makes 4 servings (2 pinwheels & 2 peach wedges) containing approximately:
19 grams of carbs
21 grams of total fat
9 grams of sugar
435 milligrams of sodium
3 grams of fiber